|Systematic name|| 3,4-methylenedioxy-|
|Other names|| N, alpha-Dimethyl-1,|
|Molar mass||Molar mass::193.25 g/mol|
pure white powder, yellow,
|CAS number||CAS number::69610-10-2|
|Density and phase||Density::46.07 g/ml, ?|
|Solubility in water||100 mM|
|Melting point||Melting point::147°C|
|Boiling point||Boiling point::100°C-110|
May cause tolerance,
| Except where noted otherwise, data are given for|
materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Disclaimer and references
Ecstasy is the name of an illicit street drug known by the IUPAC as 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-methylamphetamine (MDMA). It was first discovered in 1913 by a German chemical company Merck, which produced it as a diet pill. The drug was taken off the market under the company and was later experimented and examined by Alexander Shulgin in later years. Shulgin is also the first reported human to have tried this drug himself. To add to Shulgin's research a few other physiologists explored the drug between 1977 to 1985. In 1985, the drug was illegalized, and MDMA was disallowed in the U.S. Ecstasy has not had a plausible reason for its uses, besides in physiological help in small doses and as a diet pill. The drug has far higher side effects versus its benefits. Therefore it is not profitable or legally used anymore in the U.S. today.Common side effects such as Forgetfulness, loss of coordination, dizziness, or fainting, depression, confusion, sleep problems, dental problems, excessive thirst are all caused by ingesting ecstasy/MDMA.
Ecstasy is found as a solid tablet, ranging in various colors imprinted with diverse logos as well. Some logos found on an ecstasy pill are smiley faces, clover leaves, cartoon characters, Nike symbol, and many others. Ecstasy is chemically similar to stimulants such as amphetamines, and hallucinogen like mescaline. Its effects will remain body for three to six hours each dose. When abused Ecstasy/MDMA is often combined with cocaine, marijuana or other illegal drugs.  Plain MDMA is a white crystalline solid that is chemically anchored. It is not broken down in air, light or even heat, but is soluble in water. Like many tablets, MDMA has a pungent and sharp taste. After taken orally, the drug is absorbed into the blood stream within 15 minutes to an hour. At least 65% of this drug is expelled from the body through the urinary system.
This drug was first used as a dieting pill, but has also been used in couple counseling due to its ability to open up a person in conversation and breaking-down a person's defensive walls. This drug is mostly abused by middle-class teens and young adults. It is commonly first introduced to young people at Rave parties, or night clubs. Ecstasy became most popular in Rave's and parties around the late 1980's. A survey showed that 11.7% of 12th graders have tried or used the love drug, ecstasy. Accumulated data and research has presented that at least 10% of high school students have tried ecstasy.
The drug lasts from between four to six hours. During these hours many bodily effects may concur such as muscle tension, teeth clenching, vomiting, faded eye sight, and sweating. The drug could also increase a rapid heart rate and blood pressure. Ecstasy is commonly popular for its effects of a feel good stimulation in the brain. A person can feel emotionally open to others. MDMA, effects the brains ability of remembrance and mental abilities for up to as long as a week. The aftermath of ecstasy can sometimes contain sleep disturbances, a lack of appetite and a decrease of interest in sex. On the opposite scale of the highs and lows of ecstasy some people have experienced anxiety, dissatisfaction, and ultimately sadness and depression. Relatively to these effects, aggression and sleeping problems are also experienced.
Ecstasy effects the brain greatly. The brain under the influence of ecstasy specifically targets serotonin. This can cause neurons in the brain to release serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. These are the feel good chemicals caused in the brain to react. However, when ecstasy enters the body these chemicals are greatly produced.There is significant brain damage done to the brain when ecstasy enters the body with harmful amounts. Memory and functional side effects arise in the brain when ecstasy is influenced. Brain cells are destroyed momentarily or permanently by the drug. However, if these cells affix after the drug the body and brain will not connect these brain cells normally. Permanent damage is done to the brain when abusing MDMA. 43% of young adults as well as young teens show addictive characteristics to MDMA/ ecstasy. Ecstasy is highly toxic to the brain and can leave minor as well as major and permanent effects on the body as well as brain. Hypothermia can also be a result of high doses of ecstasy this can conclude with liver, kidney, or cardiovascular system failure. As a result, can cause death.
- In taking care of our bodies as temples, we are thanking God for what he has provided us with on earth, healthy bodies. Proverbs 3:6-8 says, "...in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones." This verse acknowledges God's power in his word, if we continue to fulfill His heart's desires we can only become more prosperous. By looking away from drugs, one gives their will power and spiritual growth strength and exercise to rebuke evil in their lives.
- It is important to continue a firm and stable walk with God. In doing so, the enemy will try to tempt a person in thinking that they are depressed, worthless, too stressed out that they need an alternative or escape from life, by doing drugs. This is not true because God can give you the fulfillment truly needed to continue the journey through life. He can also be ones source of strength to get through a difficult day. The bible says this of the enemy in John 10:10, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
- In order to fully commit a Christian life to God, you must devote every part of ones life to him. This includes your whole heart, because the Lord Jesus Christ is a jelous God, who died for our sins that we might be saved through him. Exodus 15:2 says, "The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." The only way we can truly feel fulfillment in our walk with God is by abandoning anything that can destroy us in our path to Jesus. Drugs are only temporary pleasures to a persons pain. They do not meet the standards in growing and good relationships or in a persons life. Jesus is the only comforter that can make us really happy.
- MDMA/Ecstasy Unknown author. Unknown date.
- MDMA hydrochloride
- Basic Facts About Ecstasy (MDMA) Buddy T. August 02, 2006.
- MDMA (Ecstasy) Fast Facts National Drug Intelligence Center.March 2003.
- What are the effects of MDMA? National Institute on Drug Abuse. November 30, 2007.
- History of Ecstasy Narconon Network. Unknown date.
- NIDA Notes Robert Mathias. November 1999.
- Brain on Drugs Dennis P. Swiercinsky. July 11, 2001.
- NIDA InfoFacts: MDMA (Ecstasy) NIDA. June 2009.
- Ecstasy, LSD, Methamphetamine and Other Club Drugs Morefocus group inc. 2002.
- ECSTASY AND CLUB DRUGS DEA; NIDA InfoFacts, MDMA. April 2006.
- Ecstasy or MDMA Henry A. Spiller. November 2000.
- NIDA for Teens: Ask Dr.NIDAUS.gov. Unknown date.